Best Of Blog 2007
Best Of Blog 2005
How to be Happy,
Misty's Big Adventure,
Street Furniture Stickers,
Weird Internet Animations
Other People's Blogs
Danger! High Postage,
Silent Words Speak Loudest
Please don't ask for a sidebar link as a refusal often offends.
Good Psion Software
- psiMind - MindMapping software for Psion machines, great for taking notes. Will export to text files.
- Locker - Allows you to switch your Psion on and off without re-entering the password, as long as you switch it back on within a specified time
- Phoneman - Synchronise phone books with your mobile, also send and store SMS messages from the Psion.
Using the Psion 5mx with a T68 mobile phone:
- One of the problems I was having was the psion modem settings. For anyone who finds this, the modem init string for a T68 phone is just "ATZ", leave the data and fax init strings empty.
Using the Psion emulator to access backups
The instructions below assume you installed the emulator on your PC's J: drive.
You can also find instructions and lots more info on Gareth J M Saunders page .
Download the emulator
From the Psion tek logix website , chose the file marked "Symbian OS V5 SDK for Java" or click here to download emulator
Install the emulator
Unpack the zip file, and run the "setup.exe" program. Choose a drive to install onto. I chose "J:". Apparently "C:" isn't reccommended (though when I tried it a few years after writing this, on Vista, it seemed to work fine)
Start the Emulator
The emulator can be started by running the program
You should have a fully functioning Psion 5mx running in a window. It's in colour, isn't that strange!
Copy across your backup directory
Exit the emulator before doing this.
The emulator sees the directory J:\epoc32\Wins\C as the Psion's main C drive.
- Move the original J:\epoc32\Wins\C directory somewhere out of the way
- Create a new, empty J:\epoc32\Wins\C directory
- COPY (i.e. don't move) your backup of the Psion C drive into this directory. The files will include "System"
- Restart the emulator. You should be able to access your files.
How to Run PhoneMan on the EPOC Psion Emulator
First, install the emulator, as outlined above.
Next, download the special emulator version of PhoneMan. I got mine from Pscience5's Lost and Found page which also has emulator specific versions of some other programmes. I've added a copy of the emulator version of PhoneMan on my webspace, in case the others disappear.
Now you need to install Phoneman. Assuming that you have installed Epoc on _J:_
Start the emulator, and you should be able to run PhoneMan. The free registration details, given on ZenoByte's Website are name:"freecode" and code:"94934055" (don't type the quotes!)
I'd like to thank ZenoByte for releasing the program for free - maybe you'd be interested in their current Games and other software for iPhone and iTpodTouch. The details of how to install PhoneMan on the emulator were gleaned from two German language web forums (1, 2)
- Copy the file epoc32\release\WINS\Deb\PMENGINE.dll from PhoneManEmul2100F.zip into the directory J:\Epoc32\Release\Wins\Deb
- Copy the folder epoc32\release\WINS\Deb\Z\System\Apps\PHONEMAN from PhoneManEmul2100F.zip into the directory J:\Epoc32\Wins\C\System\Apps
Source of Information on Psion
The PsionWiki is a good place to start.
This page linked from: