Foundry Lane, Smethwick, Birmingham (Map
27th September to 11th October 2003
A fantastic exhibition. The Sozo Collective
have taken over an old commercial x-ray factory, cleaned it up a bit and set up lots and lots of installations.
- Radioactive - Sign on a Wall:
Some pieces I remember:
- Jullian Bull's video installation "Elements" near the entrance to the building. Three projectors and a circular screen combine to create a perfect widescreen on which waves crash, fires burn and clouds drift by - very relaxing. I want one in my house!
- Work Crate - a large open crate stuffed with polystyrene packing material and a talking head who gives his very interesting views on the types of work and worker.
- A Giant Man made out of chicken wire(?)
- The fantastic fire area which really contributed to the festival atmosphere on the opening night.
- Wonderful, almost full size, pictures of local mantlepieces.
- A DNA molecule made out of eggs! (Fragile I guess).
- The doors! A pair of internal factory doors through which you could see the light and hear the noise of a working environment. It felt like you could walk right through them into a large and busy space, but they were set in to the wall!
- A bizare machine for ants to live and work in.
- Indian(?) dance with feet dipped in paint which left a trace of the ephemeral.
- A woman in a coffin in a quiet and leafy area.
- A "light panel" made of paper(?) and lit from behi:
- A bizare show in which a man suspended from the ceiling, wearing a gas mask and metal plates was attacked by a woman wielding a circular saw.
- Miscellaneous Signs (Jack Russell):
- Miscellaneous Signs (Nursery Rhyme)::
- A Gazebo build out of reused wood, bedsteads etc.: